Gallery

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010 Opening Ceremony

In the past few years I have started watching the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, actually I probably really paid attention during Summer 08. Anywho, this year's Ceremony was great, I was impressed by the use of the fabric and projectors. It really proves what you can do with a blank canvas and how it can be transformed into something beautiful and inspiring.
The most impressive parts for me visually was when the canvas transformed into a moving living sea, the whales swimming across were majestic. The totem poles that became trees were pretty neat.
It seemed like the creators really had fun, and it was a bit more lively especially during the fiddle and tap dancing, Bejing 2008 had a great opening ceremony, it seemed from what I remember to rely more on symbolism and the intricate details. Neither can really be compared though as they can be appreciated individually.
So t.v. will be interrupted for the next couple of weeks, not sure how much of the actual Olympics I will actually watch, hopefully it will be good and safe, very sad start for the Georgian team, and my sympathies are with Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment